Real-time 3D engine, in Ada, based on OpenGL. Ada Programming. GL, VRML, 3D Studio Max, GMax.
GLOBE_3D stands for
GL Object Based Engine for 3D.
GL stands for Graphics Library, created by SGI.
SGI stands for Silicon Graphics, Inc. .
GLOBE_3D is a free, open-source, real-time 3D Engine written in Ada, based on OpenGL.
Some click(s) of some
More videos on YouTube
Click images to enlarge
← ← click here for more screenshots!
- unconditionally portable sources (one set of sources for all platforms)
- real-time rendering; fast with a 3D hardware-accelerated graphics card
- full eye movements and rotations
- displays combinations of colours, materials, textures
- multitexturing (diffuse + specular)
- multiple area rendering with the portal technique, e.g. for inner scenes
- collision detection
- binary space partition (BSP)
- input-output of 3D objects or groups of objects linked to each other by portals
- easy management of resources like textures (.bmp, .tga, .jpg, .gif, .png), BSP trees and objects, stored in .zip files
- screenshots (.bmp) and video captures (.avi)
- multi-view support
- vectorized geometry support
- randomly extruded surface generator
- Export from Blender through Wavefront (.obj / .mtl) models and the o2g tool
- VRML virtual world compiler, through the wrl2ada translator
- GMax /
3D Studio Max
scene exporter & compiler, through the max2ada translator
- Compilation of game maps or levels from the
or GTK Radiant level editors
through the d3a (to Ada) translator or the d3g (to .g3d) tool.
The GLOBE_3D.zip archive contains:
For any other system, GLOBE_3D should work provided that the system supports (Open)GL and GLU.
- a ready-to-run demo built for Windows
- the tools mentioned above
- fresh bindings to GL / OpenGL, GLU and FreeGLUT
- a single, standalone and complete set of Ada sources, successfully
built on the following system / cpu / compiler combinations:
|MS Windows 95,98,NT,2K,XP,Vista,7||Intel x86 (32 bit)||GNU - GNAT|
|MS Windows 95,98,NT,2K,XP+||Intel x86 (32 bit)||Aonix - ObjectAda|
|Linux||Intel x86 (32 bit)||GNU - GNAT|
|Linux on PS3||Cell (64 bit) ||GNU - GNAT|
|Mac OS X||PowerPC (64 bit)||GNU - GNAT|
|Mac OS X||Intel (64 bit)||GNU - GNAT|
|OpenBSD||(one of several)||GNU - GNAT|
Availability of FreeGLUT or OpenGLUT is needed for the demo.
I welcome your scripts, makefiles etc.
Source web pages automatically generated by gnathtml (GNAT).
- A swarm simulation developped at the Australian National University,
Research School of Computer Science,
Concurrent & Distributed Systems,
using GLOBE_3D as a 3D framework: here
- Zip-Ada (used for texture libraries in GLOBE_3D): here
- NiEstu - probabily the first Ada bindings to OpenGL: here
- Other Ada bindings to OpenGL: AdaOpenGL
The author's blog can be read here.
For a little sponsoring...
For any news, change logs, support requests, update informations: visit the
project on SourceForge!